Thursday, October 29, 2009

Announcement

I had lunch with Hudson today like I do every week. He's currently in a cluster of desks with two little girls and another little boy. Today's lunch request was Burger King ... it's been Soup Kitchen for a while (yum!), but he went retro on me today. So, we're starting to eat and he accidentally skims his puddle of ketchup with his forearm. My instincts kick in, and I start cleaning him up. While I'm working on that, he's admiring his other - cleaner - forearm and makes the following announement:

I'm getting MAN HAIR!

His eyes lit up like a Christmas tree as he gazed in amazement at his forearm which is perched in a horizontal position as if checking the time. He looks toward the girls and states it again, with an even more convincing tone:

I'm getting MAN HAIR!

They are not amused, and I don't think they quite knew to what he was referring. He looked at his buddy, Whit, across the desk from him and - with a giggle - tried to one-up him (since Whit just announced that he's already six years old):

I'm getting MAN HAIR!

Whit just kept talking about whatever it was he was talking about. Not impressed at all. I was impressed, though, and gave Hudson a sweet squeeze. And, yes, there are little dark brown slivers of silken hair scattered over those little arms.

Randy just came home . . . I heard Hudson greet him at the door, arm poised . . .

I'm getting MAN HAIR!