Friday, February 11, 2011

Blogging or Baking?

It's not like I didn't have any free time in January ... sickness, snow, cozy nights at home. All of those elements made for a perfect time to catch up on my lack of committment to my blog. I would really love to be a professional blogger ... or a baker ... or a tour guide of Italy's best restaurants ... or the director of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. But, I'm not. Although, I'm working on the 'baker' part. Here are a few things I tackled over the hibernation season:

Eggnog Cupcakes with Peppermint Crunch Icing
This challenge was sent to me by my SIL Stephanie; she found the recipe on a blog of one of her friends. I needed something to take to the annual Williams Christmas Eve Feast, and they were GREAT! Only problem ... too pretty to eat. Hate it when that happens! Here's the proof:



Quiller Quiche
I made that up. I don't have a recipe for this one; might be why it's so good! Honestly, the best quiche I've made. Ever. Pillsbury crust filled with spinach, onion, sausage, cream, eggs, mozzarella and parm. Salt, pepper and nutmeg round out the simple spices. I've made this a couple of times since the first go 'round. Mmmmmm:



Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits
Oh, Ina. Ina, Ina, Ina. She's probably one of my favorite F'Network peeps. Her motto: buy half, and make half so you can enjoy the party. Well, even if the party is just dinner, go buy a rotisserie chicken and a bag 'o salad and spend a few minutes making these gems. My first run was incredible -- flaky, buttery layers that melted as soon as your breath met the bread. My baker MIL even wanted the recipe and to come watch me the next time I made them. Flattered! I did make a second run -- delicious, but not as light and flaky. I increased the recipe to make more, but not a true 'double'. Me? Not a math genius. Might have gotten something lost in translation, BUT not a crumb was left!



My other new favorite thing to bake? Granola! Yep. It all started with a pumpkin spice granola found on the Annie's Eats blog. I was hooked. The kids liked it; MIL liked it; my aunt liked it; and I hoarded it as long as I could. Then I made a double batch. So good with yogurt or even dry with chocolate chips as a snack. I expanded my flavor chioces to a honey cinnamon version. Equally good with yogurt for breakfast. Equally good turned into trail mix. Took the trail mix on a road trip with some friends in January. Some addictions were started. I don't have a pic of the granola results ... never really had a chance to!

My next baking experiment? Whoppie Pies for Valentine's Day. Will have to report back on those!

No comments: