Friday, April 16, 2010

Life Lessons from Legos

Don't know why I'm blogging so much lately. Just in a mood I guess. This, too, shall pass!

Hudson always travels with something ... a toy, a book, pen/paper, part of a costume, all of a costume. Doesn't matter where we're going or how long the trip. Lately, he's been toting a small, plastic box of Legos with us in the van. My first thought was What if they spill?, followed by What can he possibly do with those in the car? I've since grown used to them. They havent' spilled - yet - and he seems very content.

I've always been fascinated by boys and their affection for Legos. Me? Not a huge fan. I don't like building something only to have it fall apart in my hands. Maybe I don't snap them tight enough. I like building something I can EAT! My brothers LOVED Legos. Probably still do at ages 35. Randy still loves Legos and so does my dad. We'll leave those ages alone.

So, is it the creativeness of them? The endless possibilities? The fact that maybe you've put them together in some combination that no one has ever done before? Nope. That's not what I think draws them to those little bricks. I think it's the thrill of the hunt! After all, men are 'hunter gatherers'! All week, I've listened to little hands dig through the box of squares, rectangles, wheels, rods, people, and shapes not often seen in nature. Digging, digging, searching for the perfect shape, size and color; maybe even searching for the inspiration of what comes next. The sound of all those pieces bumping into each other was a bit unnerving at first, but then I realized he's learning to go out of the cave, kill something and bring it home! Maybe searching for that 6-peg-perfect-shade-of-blue-rectangle-brick-with-the-squiggles-on-the-front will help him later in life. Being patient and selective to find just the right Lego could be a building block for things to come. Hmmmmm. Patience. Maybe I SHOULD take up Legos as a hobby ...

No comments: