Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Pulled Pork

This is something I fix often -- most anytime we entertain, tailgate, or need to feed a crowd. It's super easy, virtually fool-proof, and it feeds a lot of people for very little expense. Randy likes his with BBQ sauce; I like mine plain or served over baked beans (you already know I'm strange, so this should come at no surprise); the kids like it anyway you throw it at them. It's great on a bun, bun-less, on a tortilla, hot, cold, immediately, left-over, and used in a completely different form later on (makes yummy enchiladas!). Try it. You'll be hooked!

Pulled Pork

- boneless pork picnic shoulder (I can only find them at Wal-Mart so far, Tyson puts them out); any size will do, but the bigger the better
- garlic cloves, peeled (use as many as you want; I usually do 4-6)
- coarse salt, about 1/2 teaspoon
- coarse pepper, same
- 1 cup of liquid (cider vinegar, water, apple juice, or any combination of; I like 1/2 vinegar & 1/2 water)

Remove the strings and plastic pop-up thermometer from the pork; place it in a crock pot. Add the rest of the ingredients; cover and turn the temperature on high. Cook for 6 hours and don't mess with it if you can stand it. At this point, start picking at it with a fork. It will start falling apart, and it will be pink inside. Turn it down to low heat. Continue cooking for at least another hour, and continue picking at it so it will end up shredded. Search out the garlic and make sure it gets broken up into the meat. The liquid will get absorbed the more you stir and pick at it. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm SO glad you posted this! I had pork loin a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to fix that way. You fixed it for a cluster Christmas a couple years ago and it was WONDERFUL! I think I marinated mine that night...I use the PChef BBQ seasoning with the vinegar and water mix...it turned out really good!

~Ann