Saturday, June 6, 2009

This little rhyme of mine

Wrote this for my parents as their Christmas gift several years ago. Found it on a disk when cleaning out files. Will add other poems here as I come across them!

The Gift
I saw you today.
You were in my hands
As I fastened tiny buttons
And played pat-a-cake . . . again.

I heard you today.
You were in my voice
As I sang silly songs, read another story,
And told her how much I love her.

I felt you today.
You were in my heart
As it ached when she cried
And swelled when she reached for me.

I missed you today.
You were in my thoughts
As I searched for answers to questions
I never thought of until now.

I thanked you today.
For being wonderful parents and
For instilling in me the desire of
Wanting to “be the mommy” one day.

I loved you today.
Just as I have every day.
It’s because of you, I am who I’ve become.
A daughter. A wife. A mother.
Thank you for this gift.

-- Amy Williams
November 1999

1 comment:

Judi Harvey said...

Amy, this is a beautiful poem/gift. It made me cry...I really miss my Mom and Dad. Thanks for sharing.

Judi